In business, your team will be one of the biggest factors in determining your success. They are your responsibility.
To hire good team member it is important to take the following steps:
- Decide in advance what the role and duties would be
- Decide on the type of person you need, skills, attitude, beliefs, values, ambition etc
- Devise a list of questions for the interview that will help determine these.
- Get other peoples opinion on the person before you hire – the oerson who met them at reception, your fellow interviewers, fellow team members. Give them all questions to ask
- Always check references and do background checks
Most skills can be taught, attitude, beliefs and values take more time. Are you prepared to invest the time.
To keep and develop good team members you need to focus on the following:
- Be the best leader you can be for your organisation. Learn as much as you can about leadership in small organisations and try to understand how effective leadership could help your team.
- Have a common purpose or goal and communicate this to the team – make sure that every team member know where the business is headed and make sure that each team member knows how they can affect the success of the business. Remember if you allow for mediocrity that’s what you deserve in your business results.
- Have an action plan – make sure that all your team are aware of the things you are doing every week on the business and make sure there are actions for them to complete as well within agreed timescales.
- Have some rules – We like to call it a culture statement – what are the generalised principles that every team members understands and adheres to.
- Support risk taking within the team. If the team members are working towards the common goals, on the action plan and within the rules of the business, then decisions that they make and risks that the take have to be supported. When people are criticised for making mistakes, they stop making decisions and the business will not grow or it will grow as a result of massive effort from the business owner.
- Get everyone involved – not just the talkers – everyone has a contribution to make to your business. Just allow and encourage them to do it when they work for you. Your business will benefit.
Remember, you team is your responsibility. You can make them successful. Learn how today…