Most people have very few interviews throughout their lives and therefore can find them quite daunting. Equally, many Small Business Owners have not conducted many interviews either and they can also find them very difficult.
If your company needs to hire someone new, then you should have some process or structure to follow. Here are some simple guidelines to get you started.
1. Write a clear description of the type of person you want before the interview. Detail about skills, attitude, qualifications, work experience all need to be written down and agreed by all on the interview panel.
2. You dont have to selecet on of the candidates that you interview – if they do not fit your profile, then select other to interview. Remember, that in a small business, each team member can play a huge role – therefore, selecting them should also be a big decision.
3. Ask someone who does not work in your compnay but whom you respect as a business owner or leader to sit in on the interviews. This adds a different perspective.
4. Prepare some questions in advance of the interview. We find the best questions to be situation based questions as follows:
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer? How did you deal with it, what was the outcome and what did you learn from the experience.
- Tell me about a time when you were under time pressure and felt like you simply had too much to to. How did you handle it, what would you do differently?
- Tell me about a time when you had a problem with a fellow team member – how did you handle it.
There are lots of similar questions designed to elicit real life examples to test and see if the candidate has actually experienced these. You need to establish if they have been in pressure situations, if they have ever been responsible in previous roles, if they have the ability to solve problems on their own.
In addition to the interview, we also recommend some form of profiling which agains makes the whole process fairer and less reliant on a single interview.
It is important to rate the candidates based on your predefined criteria and be as objective as possible.
We also suggest an intense trial period which is good for the candidate as well as the employer.
If you feel you need to grow your team or to change some of the personnel on your team and need some help, then call Derek on 087 222 0720 today of fill out the form below for a free consultation…